Monday, June 8, 2015

A Family Friendly Stay at Gordon Lodge


I received two nights' stay at Gordon Lodge to facilitate my review. All opinions are honest and my own. 

If you've been following my social media accounts, you know that I just returned from an AMAZING #NorthIowaBloggers trip to Door County, Wisconsin. Part of what made our stay so amazing was our accommodations at Gordon Lodge. Right outside of Bailey's Harbor, Gordon Lodge is a great location for family fun. Our group stayed in their cabins, which were conveniently located right across from the breakfast hall, near the main building for check-in, and of course, situated right on Lake Michigan. Gordon Lodge offers plenty of activities for active families right on the grounds, including bicycles you can grab to ride the trails, kayaking, tennis courts, pool and hot tub,
and basketball hoops. I know my kids could have stayed busy without ever leaving the lodge!

Our cabins were extremely family friendly, as well. Donna of donnahup.com and I shared one cabin, which featured two bedrooms (a king and then two doubles), each with their own separate bathroom, a kitchen area, living room, fireplace, two patio areas, and an incredible view of the lake. The fireplace even came with a fully stocked wood supply and instructions for how to start your own fire. As an educator, I firmly believe in learning from your failures, and my first attempt was definitely a failure. However, on night number two I think I was able to get the fire going for a solid half an hour before it fizzled out. Maybe don't put me on Survivor, I'll freeze and we'll go hungry, but it was pretty while it lasted! 


The breakfast buffet was great each morning (we got vouchers for breakfast, non-guests could buy the buffet for $12), and included a great variety of the basics (cereal, fruit, yogurt, scrambled eggs) with more gourmet options (feta and spinach scrambled eggs, french toast with warmed orange marmalade). I'm pretty sure the whole family would be able to find something to start their morning off right. 

The impeccable landscaping, combined with the obvious scenic beauty of the lake made this one of my favorite places we visited.

A couple of things to note when you
stay:

1. Sometimes the Door County trolleys visit, and they sometimes block the driveway. One time we had to drive the wrong way down a one way path to get to our cabins because the entrance was blocked off.
2. The fire wood sits outside your door, so if it has been raining you may be less successful at starting a fire (of course it could never be my inexperience at actually building a fire that kept it from burning all night long!).
3. The kayaking is subject to weather/lake conditions - this is obviously for your safety, but still something to be aware of. We were unable to take advantage of this opportunity for that reason.

1 comment:

  1. I had so much fun rooming with you!! This was such a fantastic place!

    ReplyDelete