Thursday, June 11, 2015

Post-Game Pizza: Pickles Pub

Each week after husband plays football we go out for pizza. Usually we head to The Seneca Street Saloon, a major Midwest Rampage sponsor, but last weekend my in-laws really wanted to go to Pickles Pub in Kamrar, so I thought it was a great opportunity for an area restaurant review.

Now, if you're going to go to Pickles, especially on a weekend, you'll either want a reservation or to arrive early. Despite being located in a town of something like 200 people, it seems like you'll always find plenty of people at Pickles. Traveling from Mason City, Ames, or locally, people know that at Pickles you'll get great people. Though they have a great selection of sandwiches and a pretty extensive kids' menu, the pizza is what their known for. I don't think I've ever found a restaurant that puts more cheese on their pizza. It's pretty much uh-may-zing. I also think there's something to be said for pizza that is cut into squares instead of triangles. Too many people underestimate the deliciousness of pizza in a square. I'm pretty sure all the best kinds are served that way. For example, have you been to Zeno's Pizza in Marshalltown lately? Another excellent example of delicious square pizza.

I didn't order the pizza that night, however. I ordered something that I think is even better. What do you get when you combine cheese, steak fries, jalapenos, cheese, bacon, and more cheese (and in my case, a side of ranch)? You get heaven, that's what. Or "Pickles fries." A dear colleague introduced these to me several years ago before a school event, and I have been in love ever since. I can't eat a whole order by myself (even though I've tried), so I recommend sharing an order with a friend. Or getting a to go box. Either way, you can't leave without having these fries, or you didn't do it right.

To give you an idea on size and ordering, we had a party of 6 adults (3 men, 3 women) and 3 kids, which included drinks, fried pickles, Pickles fries, and two large pizzas. We had about half a pizza left to take home. The meal was a little pricier than some, but this is one of those instances where you get what you pay for - deliciousness. Complete, utter deliciousness worth every penny.


Finally, and this was new, each of my kids received a Pickles whistle for safety! It was suggested that they keep it with their bikes or on the playground. First of all, I thought this was great marketing - the kids love it and were so excited. Second of all, this is such a practical thing to give away. The kids can't wait to go to the playground and take their whistles. For the record, it didn't take long for E to figure out how to operate his whistle. In the car. Right behind my father-in-law. Oops!


What's your favorite thing to get at Pickles? Any tips from locals for people visiting?


2 comments:

  1. We've been to Pickles once and honestly thought it was just "ok". We had the bacon cheeseburger pizza and we were all rather let down. It did have a lot of cheese and I did like the squares, but maybe we had heard too much hype! I would be willing to return and give those fries a try though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm half tempted to lick the screen. I want those fries lol

    ReplyDelete