Monday, December 1, 2014

You know you have other kids, right?

Oh really? I do? You mean birthing my semi-giant 9lb+ baby boys wasn't just for fun?

Let me back track a bit.

It has been brought to my attention more than a few times that I (and we) need to be careful with the amount of time, energy, and focus we put on Rylee and her activities. Let me tell you how much I love being told that I'm parenting wrong. Especially when it's by people who don't have kids.

We do have a child that spends several days a week training. We do put a lot of time and energy into that as a family.

But what you don't see are the numerous times I ask my son if he wants to do karate, or piano, or soccer, or tumbling, or strength training.

What you don't see are the countless hours my husband spends playing XBox with our son.

What you don't see are the activities that A and I do while waiting in the parent area at the gym.

What you don't see are the 9 billion questions my husband answers to help A understand every minuscule aspect of football and the NFL.

And then of course there's the baby, who honestly just will not be ignored even if we wanted to. When you don't listen to E, he screams, "mom. Mom. MOM. MOM! HON! HONEY!" "dad. Dad! DAD! J!"

We were THRILLED when A decided he wanted to do wrestling this winter. As much as I don't love having another night on the road, I'm so excited for him to have something that is about him. He had that last summer when he got to train for and run in the Iowa Games, and I'm super pumped for him to have that again. But he has chosen to do it on his terms, and has chosen to do something that he wants to do. Not something that we chose for him because people thought we didn't spend enough time for our "other" children.

I guess what I want to say is that balance can be difficult to find, but when you have kids with activities, or one kid with activities and one or more who are along for the ride, you make the decisions that you know are right for your kids. Trust yourself. You know what's best for your kids.

And if you're the person judging from the outside? Well, you know what they say about judging and assuming...

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! Forcing kids to partake in activities or holding them back both have their consequences as well. I don't believe in forcing a kid to participate in an activity! You're doing fine! Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katy! It's been an interesting journey, and I'll be the first one to admit we have a CRAZY schedule. But it works for us.

    ReplyDelete